Monday, January 21, 2013

Martin Luther King Jr. Historical Site

Today is the day that we celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday.  I thought I would talk a little about the site in Atlanta.  The historical site hosts displays about all parts of the Civil Rights Movement but especially that in Atlanta.  The wagon that carried his casket is the first thing that you see as you go in.  There is an added section that shows Coretta Scott King's work after the death of her husband.  You can tour Ebenezer Baptist Church where he preached.  Both have tombstones at the center.  MLK Jr.'s is on an island in a waterfall memorial.  Coretta is nearby.  When I visited, it was very quiet and still, which added greatly to the serenity of the scene.  As we were leaving, a group of intercity middle schoolers arrived.  They couldn't understand why others, like my mom who lived in that time period, were so moved by seeing these pieces of history.  I hope that they now can learn about this great historical figure who helped bring so much change to our country.  I highly recommend visiting the site when you visit Atlanta.



No comments: